Wendy Margolis’s practice focuses on civil appeals in state and federal courts and on providing litigation support to trial lawyers on legal and strategic issues that arise before, during, and after trial.
Prior to joining Cosgrave in 1995, Wendy was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Mary Deits of the Oregon Court of Appeals (1993-95). Before attending law school, she worked as a clinical audiologist in a private neuro-otology clinic.
Appellate services include:
- Reviewing the trial court record
- Identifying appeal-worthy issues
- Evaluating the merits of a potential appeal
- Participating in appellate mediation
- Developing a strategy for an appeal
- Writing appellate briefs, including amicus briefs
- Presenting oral argument
Litigation support services include:
- Identifying and analyzing complex legal issues
- Consulting on litigation strategy
- Drafting and arguing dispositive motions
- Drafting and arguing trial submissions, including trial memoranda, jury instructions, motions in limine, verdict forms, and motions for directed verdict
- Drafting and arguing post-trial motions, including motions for new trial
- Attending trial to ensure that a proper trial court record is made and that
specific issues are properly preserved for appeal
Education & Bar Admissions:
Wendy earned her bachelor’s degree in speech and hearing sciences from the University of California at Santa Barbara, and her master’s degree in audiology from the University of Washington. She received her law degree from the University of Oregon, graduating Order of the Coif. While attending law school, Wendy was an Associate Editor and a Managing Editor of the Oregon Law Review.
Wendy became a member of the Oregon State Bar in 1994 and the Washington State Bar in 1995. She also is admitted to practice in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Court for the District of Oregon, and the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington.
Wendy’s professional memberships include the Multnomah Bar Association, the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel and Oregon Women Lawyers. She has served on the Oregon Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure Committee and on the Executive Committee of the Oregon State Bar Appellate Section, where she served two terms as treasurer.
“Appellate Tips for Litigators”
Speaker, Oregon Law Institute, October, 2012
“Apportionment of Damages Under the Federal Employer’s Liability Act”
Speaker, The National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Winter Meeting, 2012
“Tips and Traps for the Civil Litigator”
Speaker, Oregon Law Institute CLE, October, 2009
“Oregon Supreme Court Update”
Speaker, Multnomah Bar Association Continuing Legal Education seminar, 2006
“Ethics for Defense Lawyers”
Speaker, Oregon Association for Defense Counsel Seminar, 2002
Co-Editor of Case Notes for the quarterly OADC newsletter, 2006 – 2009
“Briefing the Merits – Oregon Court of Appeals”
Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education, Appeal & Review. 1998, 2002
Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education, Damages, 1998