Julie Smith is an appellate lawyer who also specializes in advising trial attorneys on litigation strategy and in drafting and arguing complex motions.
Before joining Cosgrave, she served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Trial and Appellate Divisions of the Oregon Department of Justice, where she twice received the department’s Outstanding Achievement Award. Prior to that, she clerked for the Honorable Virginia Linder of the Oregon Court of Appeals.
Appellate services include:
- Reviewing the trial court record
- Identifying appeal-worthy issues
- Evaluating the merits of a potential appeal
- Participating in appellate mediation
- Developing a strategy for an appeal
- Writing appellate briefs, including amicus briefs
- Presenting oral argument
Litigation support services include:
- Identifying and analyzing complex legal issues
- Consulting on litigation strategy
- Drafting and arguing dispositive motions
- Drafting and arguing trial submissions, including trial memoranda, jury instructions, motions in limine, verdict forms, and directed-verdict motions
- Drafting and arguing post-trial motions, including motions for new trial
- Attending trial to ensure that a proper trial court record is made and
that specific issues are properly preserved for appeal
Education & Bar Admissions:
Julie earned her bachelor’s degree in political, legal, and economic analysis from Mills College and a law degree from the University of Oregon, where she graduated Order of the Coif. While attending law school, she was an Executive Editor of the Oregon Law Review.
Julie became a member of the Oregon State Bar in 1998. She is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Oregon and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Julie’s professional memberships include the Multnomah Bar Association, the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), and Oregon Women Lawyers. She also serves on the Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure Committee and as one of the editors of OADC’s quarterly publication – The Verdict. She was previously a member of the Executive Committee of the Oregon State Bar Appellate Practice Section and the Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee.
“Damages, 2016 Revision”
Chapter 2 – Nominal Damages, Oregon State Bar Publications, November, 2016
The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice (2021)
“Oregon Rising Star,” Super Lawyers magazine, Civil Litigation (2008-2012)
“I cannot thank you enough for the amazing work you did on my case. Your pretrial arguments and work on the directed verdict were integral to [trial counsel’s] success.”
“I know that you have received this great news already from Julie Smith. Congratulations on the terrific result! Julie did a superb job on the briefing and it is reflected clearly in the exemplary, thoughtful opinion that [the judge] wrote.”
“My feedback echos [the trial attorney’s], and the word that came to my mind after reading [your briefing] was ‘brilliant’!”
“Julie, thank you very much. I think [the motion] is extremely well done.”