Trucking and Motor Carrier
Freight transportation is the lifeblood of our economy. Everything from agriculture to energy depends on it. Cosgrave’s trucking and motor carrier group is dedicated to supporting this critical industry by providing a complete array of legal representation and value-added services:
- Corporate/business law
- Criminal defense
- Labor and employment
- Litigation and mediation
- Personal injuries
- Property and casualty
- Regulatory compliance
- Risk management and insurance
- Training and publications
24-Hour Major Accident Response
Our defense team is well versed in the rapid-response, “Go Team” approach to motor carrier accidents. Clients are urged to contact us immediately when a serious accident occurs. We’ll quickly respond on the scene with an accident reconstruction engineer to gather time-sensitive forensic evidence, provide legal counsel to the vehicle operator, and coordinate with local law enforcement officials.
This approach has proven highly effective in protecting our clients’ legal interests if litigation later ensues. We stand by our clients before, during, and after an accident. Our lawyers have a proven record of success in the courtroom and at the mediation table.
Cosgrave’s team is led by three trial lawyers who share decades of dispute resolution experience and understand the transportation industry:
- Bob Barton, the group’s chair, is a past president of the 600-member Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC).
- Derek Ashton brings to the team more than 25 years of trial experience, including 130 jury trials, 15 years as a prosecutor, and numerous cases involving fatal vehicular accidents.
- Wally Sweek, a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and a former OADC president, has successfully tried many transportation suits throughout Oregon.
All three are active members of the American Law Firm Association (ALFA) Transportation Practice Group and have moderated and spoken at a number of their transportation seminars for motor carrier industry executives and risk managers. Derek was recently selected as the Chair of the ALFA Transportation Practice Group for the 2016 – 2017 term.
- American Trucking and Transportation Insurance Company (ATTIC) Risk Retention Group
- Arrow Trucking
- Canal Insurance
- Chartis Trucking Group
- Con-way Freight (CNF)
- CR England
- FedEx Express
- First Group America (First Student, First Transit, and Greyhound)
- Knight Transportation
- Landstar Inway, Inc.
- Market Transport
- May Company
- NAPA (Genuine Parts Co.)
- Nestlé Waters North America
- Performance Food Group (Vistar NW)
- Republic Services
- Stonington Insurance
- Tyson Foods
- U-Haul International/Republic Western Insurance
- United Rentals
- Vanliner Insurance
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group
- Defense Research Institute
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel