Tim Coleman’s law practice focuses on civil litigation. He is chair of the firm’s employment law practice group, and co-chair of the railroad practice group. Tim has represented individuals as well as small and large businesses for over 30 years, defending cases involving personal injury, commercial matters, labor and employment law, regulatory, third party, insurance, environmental and toxic torts, real estate, contract matters and product liability and business disputes. Tim has tried over 70 cases to verdict and has also handled many arbitrations and mediations.
- In 2016, Tim and his team tried a three week case involving federal liability claims and damages claimed to be in excess of $3,000,000 and multiple experts. The verdict came in at 1/3 of the last demand in a complex case.
- Defended a complex injury case involving electrical shock in which plaintiff sought millions. A reasonable settlement was reached at mediation.
- Obtained jury verdict for employer on claims of sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and retaliation seeking $4.5 million in damages.
- Defended a claim for damages resulting from faulty software and won summary judgment against the software maker for full indemnity based on product liability and other theories.
- Successfully tried an employment case to verdict involving claims of retaliatory discharge for filing an injury report.
- Served as lead counsel on two different corporate disputes involving oppressive behavior by the majority shareholders. Mediated cases and obtained favorable results for the client in both cases.
- Defended a federal case involving claims of permanent disability, complex causation and damages. After a two week trial, the jury rendered a defense verdict.
- Filed suit against a third-party involving claims in excess of $5 million. Convinced the third-party and its insurer to accept full tender.
- Handled many claims involving complex contract and Common Law Indemnity issues.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a federal whistleblower law claim filed before OSHA.
- Represented a trucking company in resolving a trade secret dispute with a former employee.
- Tried a wrongful discharge case for several days until plaintiff accepted an offer to settle the case at the same amount plaintiff was offered before trial.
- Negotiated and obtained favorable settlements in multiple cases involving claims of state law retaliation, ADA violations, age discrimination, disability discrimination, race discrimination, FELA, LIA, SAA, FMLA and other related claims.
Education & Bar Admissions:
Tim earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Oregon in 1980 and his law degree from the University of Oregon Law School in 1984.
Tim is admitted to the Oregon State Bar Association, the Washington State Bar Association, the United States District Court of Oregon and Washington, including the Eastern and Western Districts.
Tim is a member of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC). He has served as a Regional Vice President and is currently active on the executive and program committees. He is frequently asked to speak regarding trial skills, litigation strategy, causation and complex medical issues, as well as other defense strategies.
Tim serves as a member of the following organizations:
- ALFA International – Steering Committee of the Labor and Employment Practice Group
- ASLRRA (American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association)
- ELGL (Emerging Local Government Leaders Network)
- Federal Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- NARTC (National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel)
- OADC (Oregon Associate of Defense Counsel)
- PRIMA (Public Risk Management Association)
- United States District Court Historical Society
Outside the firm, Tim has served on several charity boards and coached a variety of youth sports teams. Tim continues to coach Mock Trial. In 2011 he helped coach a high school Mock Trial team to a State Championship, and a 12th place finish at Nationals.
Tim enjoys being outdoors, golfing, hiking and skiing in his spare time.
Tim has been a frequent speaker on many topics. Some of his recent presentations include:
“Is Your Business In Compliance With Recent Changes in Employment Laws?”
Presented to client business owners of the Engle and Schmidtman Law Firm, December 2014.
“BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Legal Issues at Work”
National Association of Railroad Trail Counsel, Spring, 2014.
“Managing Legal Issues Arising in Today’s Wired World”
ALFA International’s Labor and Employment Practice Group Seminar, Half Moon Bay, California, 2013.
“Minority Member/Shreholder Oppression Claims”
3rd Quarter 2014 Employment and Business Law Newsletter
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers in the area of Civil Litigation – Defense
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America”
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in the area of Transportation Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Highest rating (“A.V.”) by Martindale-Hubbell